Making Peace With Your Water Heater
A relaxing hot shower or a meditative soak in the bathtub can be one of life’s simple pleasures in Las Vegas, NV. Listening to mysterious noises coming from the water heater can interfere with that blissful experience. The reasons noises occur are fairly predictable and may or may not require the expertise of professionals.
Addressing the Cause
Not all noises are cause for alarm; the first step is to determine the type. The second step is to determine your course of action.
• Screaming, screeching, or singing is the result of water trying to squeeze through a partially closed valve. Check both the outflow, such as sink, tub, or shower, as well as the water heater.
• Knocking or hammering occurs when pipes bang against interior walls. Installing a water hammer arrestor is the solution.
• Rumbling, popping, and crackling occur when sediments have accumulated around the element tubes. When water is forced through the sediment, it is noisy. The solution is to clean the element, or if needed, to replace it.
• Humming sometimes happens when water flows around the vertically situated element in an electric model. Tightening the element can take care of this type of noise.
• Tapping or ticking of heat traps or check valves that direct the flow of water in the pipes atop the heater can be annoying. Swapping in a dielectric nipple is the remedy in this case.
• Clicking noises in the tankless system are likely just the sound of the flow switch turning on and off. Excessive noise when it turns on can signal calcium deposits. Burners and fans can also create noises and require cleaning, adjustment, or replacement.
Performing the Maintenance
Although any machine will eventually fail, routine maintenance, including an annual water heater flush to prevent buildup, may push that day further into the future. Moreover, a water softening system on the primary water line can reduce the accumulation of minerals.
Conventional wisdom states that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Keeping your water heater doing its job without complaint just might be one of the keys to a happy—and harmonious—home. Visit http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com for more information on water damage.
The Top 5 Commercial Water Damage Prevention Tips
Commercial building owners and tenants should try to prevent damage from any water source. This type of damage may disrupt the functionality and undermine the safety of a property in Las Vegas, NV. Whether you are a commercial building owner or tenant, here are five water damage prevention tips to follow.
1. Protect the building envelope. The envelope or exterior of a building include the windows, walls, and roof. Make sure that water does not penetrate through any of these parts of the structure.
2. Approach landscaping and location from a strategic perspective. The situation of a building can be an essential factor to keep in mind when selecting or designing a commercial property. Water tends to flow downhill and should drain away from the foundation of the building.
3. Maintain HVAC systems. If the HVAC system in a commercial property is dated, it may not be as efficient or capable of meeting the demands of recent buildings. Condensate drains and drain pains should lead away from the structure and occupants should try to prevent clogs and water damage. Roof drains should drain away from the structure. Ductwork should not have any indications of condensation, excess moisture, or rust.
4. Regularly inspect rooftop drainage. If a roof cannot drain completely, pooling water may work its way under roofing materials, causing damage and undermining the integrity of the roof. Ensure that downspouts and drains are clear and that there is no standing water on the roof.
5. Have plumbing components inspected on a regular basis. It is important to check major connections, particularly water main supply lines. Look for any signs of leaks or broken pipes.
These tips limit the likelihood of water damage in a commercial property in Las Vegas, NV. If damage does occur, keep contact information for a plumber and commercial restoration company that provides water cleanup services on hand.
Visit http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com for more information on commercial water damage.
How To Maintain Your Commercial Building After a Storm
Roof damage from storms can impact your business no matter how secure you think your building is. Knowing how to maintain your roof can go a long way to helping you get back on your feet after any storm.
A problem with the roof of your business can slow operations down or halt them entirely. In order to prevent or minimize the likelihood of this happening, first understand what causes this damage and then how to prevent it in Las Vegas, NV.
What Causes Damage to Your Roof
Impact from storms, such as heavy rain or strong wind, can damage the structure of your building, particularly the roof, and could lead to worse problems later on. That could leave your building and your business at risk of being shut down during the rebuilding process. Damage caused by storms includes the following:
• Wood rot from water and exposure to the elements
• Missing materials such as tiles or shingles
• Water damage that can lead to mold
How To Prevent Damage
There are simple steps you can take to maintain your roof and prevent roof damage, and they are important to do on a regular basis. The three main parts to an action plan include the following:
• Have a roof inspection twice a year.
• Address any concerns immediately.
• Keep risks to a minimum.
Cracks and fissures should be checked for during an inspection. If these or any other problems are found, address them promptly to avoid further damage. A roof rebuild is a costly and time-consuming project that can be prevented by regular inspections and maintenance.
Wind damage can result from tree branches that may break and fall on the building. Keep trees trimmed to prevent them from damaging the building during a storm.
What To Do
If your commercial business suffers from roof damage, be sure to call a roof specialist in Las Vegas, NV. You could try to repair it yourself, but an expert is better equipped to handle the repairs. Visit http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com for more information on storm damage.
Water Damage: The Silent Destructor
Water logging can endanger the interior exterior of your home or business place.
It can easily enter into the structural cavities thereby creating trapped pockets of saturation. The moisture created by this will gradually damage the foundation of the building. The damage maybe imperceptibly slow and minor initially, but it might become big later. The rate, at which it generally occurs will determine the property loss.
Treatment of water damage in the areas of Nevada, Las Vegas and North Las Vegas has become a major concern for many residents. It is said, “Water damage is like the unexpected guest.”
There are three different types of water damage and each one has its own side effects like -
• Clean water damage involves non-contaminated or clear water. For instance, a broken pipe or leaky roof can cause this problem. It has to be repaired as soon as possible to avoid any kind of mold growth, especially black mold that is toxic in nature.
• Grey water damage involves water that is slightly contaminated and is quite dangerous. It is not good for health at all. Generally when clean water is left for too long, it will become grey in color
• Black water damage is the most dangerous form. It is highly contaminated and contains fungus, bacteria, or chemicals. It can result to sewage damage. In certain cases it can even cause death in the family
In all of the above cases water damage repair needs to be considered, as soon as it has been detected to avoid any kind further major loss.
One can keep certain things in mind and can easily avoid any sort of water damage
• Preventing mold can also help you to avoid water damage. When excessive moisture starts accumulating in the building and remains undiscovered for long time it can cause mold growth.
• Ice dams are also one of the reasons. It is formed when melting ice or snow starts seeping in through the roofs and ceilings causing damage. Hence, it is necessary to prevent it; soon.
You can hire the services of an expert and get the repair work done, without wasting much time. It is necessary to control the damage before it becomes too dangerous.
The Requirements and Benefits of Availing the Water Damage Restoration Las Vegas
Regarding the Water Damage Restoration Las Vegas
Las Vegas is one of the biggest cities in the USA. It is the capital city of the Nevada state in the USA. The city is very famous due to the presence of the water damage repair service provider companies. They provide extensive water restoration services in case of huge damages caused at the households as well the public places in the entire city. The restoration services are carried out by the expert professionals of the company with the best perfection.
Regarding THE FIRE DAMAGE RESTORATION LAS VEGAS
Very good fire damage restoration services are provided by the emergency service provider centers in the city. The households, public places as well factories often catch fire in the city due to short circuits and many other factors. These have devastating effects on human lives and properties. The fire is extinguished by using many advanced technology means by the excellent fire fighters of the organizations. The burnt building and properties are restored by the skilled staff of the service provider companies in Las Vegas city. They are famous for their emergency services in minimum possible time.
The Fire Damage Repair
It is a very important part of the Fire Damage Restoration in the city of Las Vegas, Nevada. It is the restoration and repair of the damaged goods and properties after the fire devastations in the city. The damaged properties are repaired in an excellent way. After the restoration work these old properties look as new ones with the replacement of the burnt and damaged debris by new roofs and floors. The burnt debris is properly cleaned to save the atmosphere from the poisonous gas from the burnt properties and goods. The deodorization of the burns is also done most effectively.
The water and fire restoration services in the Las Vegas, Nevada are always available on 24x7 hours basis on the authorized web site of the company on the internet. People can call the company staff on the toll-free telephone number anytime from anywhere in the Las Vegas city. The staff will immediately rush to the spot of the water or the fire hazard and restore the whole thing as fast as possible. They carry out all these restoration and repair works in the city utmost systematically without causing any inconveniences to the city dwellers. Therefore, they are highly reliable by the people of Las Vegas.
How To Find Whether Your Basement Needs Mold Remediation
Mold in Las Vegas Home
Health and safety risks are essential to ensuring liveliness for the construction of your business or home.
This includes taking proper attempt to solve already existing problem and having proper preventive measures to avoid any issues. Growth of mold, particularly black mold requires huge proactive actions to prevent your health and building occupants. Getting rid of mold at the first indication of growth instead of allowing them to affect structure of your building and your health.
Performing regular inspection for mold and taking suitable mold mitigation is the ideal way to maintain your commercial or residential property as protected as possible. How do you identify that your home requires mold remediation? Even though, it is best to have regular professional inspection to identify the mold formation, there are some signs that can make you aware about the mold growth on the building. These includes
- Musty smells
- Moist spots on ceiling or floor
- Continuous incoming water
- Visible mildew or mold spots
In case your building structure shows any of the above listed signs, it is essential to take instant action before situation spread or worsen.
Mold growth can affect your health particularly they cause respiratory problem. In case you find any breathing problem in your home recently, it is a sign of mold growth in the home. Molds particularly black mold or Stachybotrys are allergen for people and can cause respiratory disorder. Symptoms of allergic reactions include:
- Runny nose
There are several professional mold remediation companies that expertise in this field will be cable to inspect the suspected mold growth and provides a reasonable plan for mold mitigation.
Using of topical bleach to kill the mold spores may be a temporary solution not the long-lasting solution. Hiring professional is the permanent solution for mold removal. Even though the mold removal companies charges little more, the result would worth your spending.
The professional mold remediation process involves following things:
- They seal off the mold affected area in order to prevent them from spreading.
- They scrape the patches of mold and clean the affected region thoroughly.
- They pinpoint the moisture source that leads mold formation.
- Sometimes they discuss the basement waterproofing option to remove the moisture that supply mold growth.
SERVPRO mold remediation Las Vegas, NV is the best company that provides great support in mold remediation. In case you think that your basement may be prone to the harmful formation of mold, visit the site http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com/ immediately.
Extinguish All Doubts About How To Use a Fire Extinguisher
Give SERVPRO a call if you experience fire damage in your business.
If something ignites at your Las Vegas, NV business, acting immediately will mitigate the amount of mayhem and loss a fire can cause. If your evacuation path is safe and will remain so, the first line of defense is a fire extinguisher. Educating yourself and others on the proper containment before flames spread is key to promptly preventing fire damage.
Simplify the Steps for Easy Recollection in Stressful Times
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends the widely used P.A.S.S. acronym for remembering the simplified procedure of operating an extinguisher:
• Pull the safety-pin at the top to break the safety seal
• Aim for the bottom of the fire
• Squeeze the handle or button
• Sweep horizontally while still aiming at the fire’s base
Spraying should continue until the blaze disappears. If the fire still roars after the extinguisher’s contents are empty, you should immediately evacuate yourself and others. If the blaze grows or presents a threat to the evacuation route, get to safety and let emergency services arrive.
Be Prepared With the Correct Class Within Grasp
There are multiple types of fire extinguishers. Some should not be used in certain fires as they may worsen the fire damage. They have labels displaying certain classes so you can easily distinguish their uses.
Class A are water-based extinguishers for cloth, wood, rubber, paper, and plastic fires. Class B use carbon dioxide to put out fires in flammable liquids such as oil and grease. Electrical fires need either a Class C or multipurpose dry chemical agent.
A kitchen fire requires a special class K wet and dry chemical extinguisher that is specially made to handle intense deep fryer fires that Class B cannot.
Do Your Best and Let Professionals Handle the Rest
In the aftermath of a fire, there will be damage. Your business can receive professional restoration from your local commercial fire restoration company. Knowing how to choose and use the appropriate fire extinguisher, you are able to lessen the fire damage to make restoration services even easier and cheaper. Fires don’t have to turn your profits red too. Visit http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com for more information on commercial fire damage.
What Makes Mold Grow in My House?
Give SERVPRO a call if you notice mold growing in your home.
You probably wish mold would grow anywhere but in your home. Unfortunately, black mold seems to have other ideas, and happily gravitates toward the interior of your Downtown Las Vegas home. So just why is your house so attractive to mold, and what can you do to stop it?
You Probably Have a Moisture Problem
Actually, there’s no “probably” about it. Mold needs moisture to grow. Before it becomes the unsightly fuzzy patches of black mold that you know and hate, mold exists as invisible spores in the air. Those spores are essentially dormant until they come in contact with moisture, at which point they begin the next developmental stage and become the dreaded black mold infestation. Common sources of moisture include:
• Standing water from flooding
• High humidity in your environment
• Broken water mains
• Broken pipes
• Leaking roofs and windows
• Condensation from broken environments
Any one of these problems can be enough to trigger an explosion of black mold inside your home. Getting rid of the moisture can help to halt the spread of mold, but it’s not enough to get rid of the mold entirely.
So How Do You Handle Mold Cleanup?
The safest option is to contact a mold remediation specialist. Mold remediation specialists possess the tools and expertise needed to not only safely remove mold from your environment, but help you prevent it from reoccurring. Working with a mold specialist can help you understand the type of mold that has taken root in your home, and can often lead to identifying water damage or other issues that had previously gone undetected until the mold problem began.
While waiting for the specialist’s help, though, you can get a head start on disposing of contaminated materials and drying out waterlogged items. Do everything you can to contain the mold infestation and prevent it from spreading further until it can be destroyed. Visit http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com for more information on mold.
Uh-Oh… My Food Is on Fire!
Give SERVPRO a call after a grease fire!
If a grease fire occurs in your home, it is important you know how to properly extinguish it. These fires are different from other types of fires as they ignite as a result of oils becoming too hot, and they should never be extinguished using water. Fires that begin as a result of vegetable oil, animal fats, or other greases should be extinguished as follows:
1. Turn off the heat source. Simply turn the stove knob to the off position without removing any pots or pans from the stovetop.
2. Cover the flames with a metal lid. You can use a baking sheet if you do not have a lid large enough to cover the pot or pan that is on fire. This cuts off the oxygen that the fire requires to continue burning. Do not use a glass lid as they run the risk of shattering.
3. Throw baking soda or salt on the fire to further extinguish it. Only use these two common kitchen ingredients. Never use flour or baking powder as their individual chemical makeup can actually feed the fire rather than put it out.
As a last resort, you can use a fire extinguisher to put out a grease fire. Only use a Class B extinguisher and aim it at the lower portion of the flames, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
What To Do If You Cannot Put the Fire Out
In the event that a fire spreads in your home, evacuate immediately. Be sure to close the door when you exit to help contain the fire. When you have reached a safe distance, call 911 and wait for firefighters to extinguish the flames. Do not re-enter your home under any circumstances until you have been informed that it is safe for you to do so by fire officials.
A grease fire may result in your home requiring fire cleanup. Should you need these services in Las Vegas, NV it is best to always hire a fire restoration company. Visit http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com for more information on fire damage.
Help! Is Mold Covered by My Business Insurance Policy?
Mold damage in a residential property.
One of your worst fears has been realized. You discovered mold in your commercial building in Las Vegas, NV. You know mold can lead to a wide range of issues, including the following:
• Structural damage
• Loss of property
• Interrupted time
• Loss of business
What should you do when you discover this fungal issue? As soon as you discover this unwelcome growth, you may want to start scouring your commercial insurance policy to figure out if the damage is covered. Remember, every policy is different, but here are a few basics of this type of coverage.
Depends on the Circumstance
Like with other insurance policies, mold damage is often covered, but it can depend on the circumstances surrounding your growth. Did a natural disaster cause flooding in your building? If so, you may need some type of flood insurance to get any help with the mold cleanup. Did a fire lead to water damage that started mold growth? If so, your normal commercial insurance policy may name fire as a covered specified cause of loss.
Talk With Your Provider
Because there are so many different circumstances that could lead to your issue being covered or not covered, you may want to talk directly with your insurance provider. Looking over your different policies, such as commercial, flood or mold insurance, can help you better understand what type of events are covered. Even a specified mold policy may have some exclusions when it comes to covered events.
Finding mold in your Las Vegas, NV business can leave you feeling frazzled. You have to address the issue as soon as possible, but you also have to figure out if your commercial insurance is going to help with any of the incurred fees. Thankfully, you don't have to traverse the mold damage cleanup by yourself. Hiring a commercial mold damage expert may make the cleanup and insurance claim process easier. Visit http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com for more information on mold.