Storm Damage Tips: What To Do Before Help Arrives
When a severe storm ravages your home in Las Vegas, NV and causes damage both indoors and out, it can be difficult to know what to do. Do you stay inside until help arrives, or do you leave? What if the storm is still raging and leaving seems more dangerous than staying put? To help you figure out the best thing to do in a tricky situation, here are a few storm tips from storm damage professionals.
After any severe storm, your primary concern is your safety. Before acting, ask yourself the following questions:
• Is it safe to stay in the home?
• Are there electrical hazards, slip and fall hazards, or any other major health risks?
• How bad is the water damage? Does it look like the roof, ceiling or floor is about to cave in?
• Is there an area of the home that is still secure and in which you can move around comfortably?
When Not To Stay in the Home
If the storm has passed, the best thing to do would be to leave the home until help arrives. However, if the storm is still raging, your situation is much more complex. Depending on the severity of the storm, it doesn’t make sense to go out if you don’t have to. However, how can you tell if being in your home is more dangerous than being in the elements? These storm tips may help:
• When the roof is caving in or materials are falling, it’s time to get out.
• If any part of the home’s electrical wiring is exposed and touching water, it’s time to get out.
• If any part of your home is exposed to the elements and the storm is still active, it’s time to get out. This is especially true if there is lightning.
If you are forced to choose between staying in a damaged home or going out into the storm, you need to think carefully and act fast. Every minute you don’t make a decision could mean you’re a minute closure to real danger. Consider the storm tips above to make the best decision for you and your family. Visit http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com for more information on storm damage.