Uh-Oh… My Food Is on Fire!
If a grease fire occurs in your home, it is important you know how to properly extinguish it. These fires are different from other types of fires as they ignite as a result of oils becoming too hot, and they should never be extinguished using water. Fires that begin as a result of vegetable oil, animal fats, or other greases should be extinguished as follows:
1. Turn off the heat source. Simply turn the stove knob to the off position without removing any pots or pans from the stovetop.
2. Cover the flames with a metal lid. You can use a baking sheet if you do not have a lid large enough to cover the pot or pan that is on fire. This cuts off the oxygen that the fire requires to continue burning. Do not use a glass lid as they run the risk of shattering.
3. Throw baking soda or salt on the fire to further extinguish it. Only use these two common kitchen ingredients. Never use flour or baking powder as their individual chemical makeup can actually feed the fire rather than put it out.
As a last resort, you can use a fire extinguisher to put out a grease fire. Only use a Class B extinguisher and aim it at the lower portion of the flames, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
What To Do If You Cannot Put the Fire Out
In the event that a fire spreads in your home, evacuate immediately. Be sure to close the door when you exit to help contain the fire. When you have reached a safe distance, call 911 and wait for firefighters to extinguish the flames. Do not re-enter your home under any circumstances until you have been informed that it is safe for you to do so by fire officials.
A grease fire may result in your home requiring fire cleanup. Should you need these services in Las Vegas, NV it is best to always hire a fire restoration company. Visit http://www.SERVPROdowntownlasvegas.com for more information on fire damage.